Sunday, February 2, 2014

Classical Civilization: Rome

Rome served as a catalyst in spreading art and civilization. The thing that caught my attention in this section was the residential dwellings. The Insula is typically 5-6 stories with balconies above the first floor. Living in these buildings doesn't seem enjoyable at all. There's no plumbing, poor lighting, the heat from the stoves escapes pretty well, and overall, it's dangerous. Not my type of lifestyle!!!



Modern "Insulas"...Insulas remind me of today's cruise ships. Most, if not all, cruise ships have 5+ floors of rooms where some have a balcony looking out to the lobby shops that are on the first floor.

1 comment:

  1. I really love your modern day connection to the Insulas. I would have NEVER thought of this connection, so it was awesome to see and read about it in your blog. This is definitely a good comparison and makes complete sense! This will totally help me when it comes to studying and remember the characteristics of Insulas.

    ReplyDelete